Seeking Closure: a Customer’s Story

L.L.Bean’s Get Out(fitted) Gear Giveaway is helping people discover the great outdoors every day. Each entry is unique – some are humorous and some straightforward, while still others are deeply emotional. Distinct as they are, all share a passion for the outdoors. Here’s a particularly touching story from Mark, a recent gear recipient from our home state of Maine.

As many Mainers know, our weather can be quite unpredictable — and sometimes dangerous. As an experienced bush pilot in Northern Maine, Mark’s father was known for taking day trips to cast his line at one of Maine’s many hidden lakes. On one such trip many years ago, Mark’s father and his copilot encountered particularly severe weather. Tragically, their plane crashed, and both men perished.

Mark was two years old at the time. Even though search parties combed the area for weeks, the wreckage was never found. Thirteen years later, while flying over the area, Mark’s uncle inadvertently discovered the crash site.

A hiking party was dispatched to visit the site, but as a 15-year-old, Mark was not allowed to go along. Now 57 and the father of two boys, Mark seeks closure through this request:

“I would like to finally pay my final respects to my Dad. I have a small ceramic angel with his date of death on it that I have been saving for years. I would like to place this angel, along with some other memorabilia, at his grave site. I would like to take my wife and boys, along with my daughter-in-law into this site and pay our respects and lay my Dad my rest. If I was chosen by L.L.Bean as a daily winner I would not need a lot of gear. My family has thought about a plan on how to do this safely and successfully. We would like a set of handheld GPS/walkie-talkies, along with 3 survival kits in case of an accident. We all have bought a lot of hiking and camping gear items from Bean over the years. We have packs, boots and clothing. Our plan would be to get our directions down and try to find this area, splitting up into 3 teams. We will do this as a day hiking expedition. We would like to be able get a GPS location for future trips in. Maybe someday I’ll be able take my grandkids in to see their great-grandfather’s crash site.”

Mark’s strength of spirit and beautiful story truly humble and inspire us. We hope that with the right gear, Mark will gain the closure he seeks.

Did you find Mark’s story as touching as we did? Share your thoughts below and, as always, we’ll donate $1 for each comment to our Million Moment Mission.

1. Darlene | June 7, 2012 | 9:42 am

Very touching story.

2. gw | June 7, 2012 | 9:55 am

Best wishes and God’s blessings to you on your journey.

3. Dave | June 7, 2012 | 10:18 am

What an inspring story, well deserved of a sponsorship. Would love to see the followup.

4. goforbroke | June 7, 2012 | 10:48 am

Best of luck to Mark and his family in their journey to pay their respects to a loved one – Hurrah for L.L. Bean for providing the gear to help them on their journey.

5. Chet Murray | June 8, 2012 | 8:42 am

Good luck on your trip and may GOD go with you

6. Mark P LeGassey | June 8, 2012 | 7:07 pm

The journey continues. On Saturday May 26th 2012 we were very lucky to have 2 guides to look for the plane. Mr. Wayne Campbell, and Mr Doug Farquhar both have been into the crash site many times. Both men have been into the site but it was many years ago. The forest has changed a lot since 1967. We had special permission from the Baxter State Park Director to park in a gravel pit that is normally locked up. Myself, my wife, my two sons, and my wonderful daughter-in-law, along with Wayne and Doug headed in. My Garmin GPS, that I won from L.L.Bean was working great. We also had my Walkie-Talkies that I had won also. We had two other GPS devices that day, along with 4 communication devices. Both Wayne and Doug had said that the forest was much different that it was, we searched for about 4 hours. We covered a lot of territory and we were not successful at finding the plane. We all were very tired, with wet feet but we felt like we gave it a great try. Mr. Jensen Bissell, the Park Director has spoken with me and he and large group of rangers and staff will conduct another search in the fall when the tree leaves have fallen. I will await updated information from Mr. Bissell on when this take place. My family will plan another trip in with the Park Service. The Park Service has an interest in locating this crash, because it was not documented in any of their records. I want to thank Wayne and Doug for sacrificing a hot Memorial Day weekend to guide us on this journey. These are two special men who knew my Dad and Alfred very well. These two men are also bush pilots like my Dad. I learned some new information that day about the crash, the people involved with the search, and also about my Dad.

Thank You L.L.Bean,
    We will succeed at this.

7. Mark P. LeGassey | October 23, 2012 | 7:47 pm

October 2012 Update

Jensen Bissell, Supervisor of Baxter State Park will be conducting a training mission with a group of Park Rangers in an organized search for my Dad’s plane. Mr. Bissell is a dedicated Ranger with a goal of locating this plane crash. He and hes group of Rangers have already logged many miles of hiking in this area, have just not had any luck. Mr. Bissell will use all his available resources to try to get in the area. My family wants to thank him and his team for their dedication to this endeavor. Thanks again L.L. Bean for your gifts, we will finish this adventure and put a final update to the story.
    We will succeed at this.