Hanging Up Your Boots

Hanging Up Your Boots

Like everything we sell, our L.L.Bean Bean Boots are guaranteed to last, and last, and last. Sadly, after decades and a few resoles, even Bean Boots can reach retirement age. When that happens, it’s not always easy to let go of a favorite pair of boots that have journeyed many miles with you.

For years, our customers have sent us their boot stories and asked for help in retiring such a trusted pair of shoes. On a recent visit to the L.L.Bean archives, we uncovered dozens of pairs of well-worn Bean Boots and at least as many customer stories describing a sad parting of ways with a beloved pair of boots.

Today, we’d like to share a customer’s letter about retiring a particularly well-aged pair of Bean Boots. Thank you, Dennis, for sharing your story with us:

Dennis' Bean Boot Story

How would you retire your L.L.Bean Boots? Share your Bean Boot stories with us in the comment section below or our Share Your Story feature.

1. Dr. Charles B. Forster | February 4, 2012 | 11:55 am

Well, no LL Bean boots, but much of my Boy Scout equipment from the early 1950’s. Oh, also mygym uniforms and athletic strap and running spikes from circa 1956.

2. Ed Loessi | February 4, 2012 | 12:04 pm

Got my first pair of Bean Boots in the mail just yesterday, should be good for another 30 years!

3. Nancy | February 4, 2012 | 12:06 pm

I thought I had retired my Bean boots when I moved to Southern California in November of 2002. Having lived my whole life until then in Upstate New York, I could not fathom any reason why I would need them in California, I was moving to the beach afterall. Those boots couldn’t be thrown out or given away though, it would seem like throwing away a symbol of where I come from, so I put them in storage.

Well, my husband agreed to bring me back to the area where I belong, to his beloved Massachusetts. We started packing and imagine my surprise and joy upon finding my Bean boots. My husband laughed when I did a little dance in our storage unit when I found those boots. Having grown up spending summers on Cape Cod he didn’t know the need for and joy of Bean boots come winter. I told him he would learn.

Come January of 2012 and our first snow, perhaps six inches, not really significant to myself, but my husband felt like it was a foot or more. He insisted that we must go for a walk in it. With that pronouncement he brought out the boots we bought him in March of 2011 and we went for a walk.

He now embraces and agrees with my love for my Bean boots.

Thanks for making my return to the land of real weather a little easier. And thanks for making my husband realize I am not as crazy as I seem, well, at least when it comes to my beloved Bean boots.

4. Holly Deshane | February 4, 2012 | 2:21 pm

You are right-LLBean means quality. My dad died in 2005, and his Bean Boots were still in his closet. They too were worn, and I can picture them to this day. My husband and I were just there 2 weeks ago and bought more “quality” stuff.

5. Glen Allan | February 15, 2012 | 5:39 pm

Hi y’all,I first visited LL BEAN around 1969 while traveling the US of A during a summer vacation and found ourselves in Freeport. We knew nothing about your store but found it fascinating. I bought a pair of chinoes and it was last year 2011 when I finaly had to discard them. The knees had finaly worn out. They were the best pair of pants I ever had. The material was fantastic . Come to think of it now I remember that I bought them in your SECONDS store just around the corner. I am pleased to see that everything we buy at LL BEAN ‘s is of such excellent quality.

Thanks Glen Allan. Carlisle,ON,Canada

6. Rhon | February 22, 2012 | 11:30 pm

I wear my Bean Boots nearly every single day. From summer hiking to winter-bound adventures. I’ve even blogged about my boots. Thanks, guys!

-Rhon Bell

7. Terry Seeley | August 10, 2012 | 7:11 pm

Well, I’m at a crossroads with my Bean Boots, they still have some good life left in them, but they need new bottoms. I have owned them for approx. 25 years and they have been used nearly year around all those years. They have always been the top item in my bag and have seen many opening days of the Michigan deer season, the grouse woods, pheasant hunting, and turkey hunting, and are also my favorite boots to shovel snow, wash the car, take the kids sledding and any other activity you can imagine. My wife wants me to get new ones, but these boots are an extension of me and if I can get another 25 years it would make me happy. With that, I’ve boxed them up and sending them off in the mail.
    I first became an LL Bean fan when I picked up a book called The L.L. Bean Guide to the Outdoors which contained several illustrations of out door gear, but in the front there was a Guarantee that caught my eye for the Maine Hunting Shoe- and I knew that this was the kind of company I wanted to go to for all of my outdoor gear. My 12″ bean boots have given me my satisfaction and more. Thank you for your commitment to quality.

• Sara | L.L.Bean | August 13, 2012 | 8:58 am

Thank you for sharing your story, Terry. We’re glad to hear your Bean Boots have served you well and hope they continue to do so for many years to come.