The 100th Anniversary Maine Hunting Shoe

Mailer for the original Maine Hunting Shoe

All Leon Leonwood Bean wanted was a better boot.

After returning from too many hunting trips with cold, wet and chafed feet, he was determined to create one that would stand up to the elements and, most important, keep his feet dry. And so, in 1912, L.L. introduced the Maine Hunting Shoe® — the very shoe that would launch our company.

From the start, L.L. made a commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. The Maine Hunting Shoe, a sturdy boot built for the threatening conditions of a New England winter, was backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

As we celebrate a century of innovation and quality, we’re pleased to introduce the 100th Anniversary Maine Hunting Shoe — the first product from our 100th Anniversary Collection. Although we’ve made an update or two over the years, the Maine Hunting Shoe, at its heart, remains the same functional boot that L.L. designed himself.

Our special anniversary design features L.L.’s original red-colored outsole and rawhide laces. Unlike his initial design, this year’s model features Sno-Seal waterproofing – ensuring the warm, dry feet L.L. envisioned from the start.

The 100th Anniversary edition

Like all of our L.L.Bean Boots, the 100th Anniversary Maine Hunting Shoe is made from sole to finish in our Brunswick, Maine, facility.

After 100 years on our shelves, the Maine Hunting Shoe continues to stand the test of time, appearing year after year as a staple in the pages of our catalog and in everyday life — and still backed by our legendary guarantee.

The Maine Hunting Shoe has been with us through years of outdoor adventure, and now we’d like to ask you: where you have been in your Maine Hunting Shoes? Leave a comment below to share your experience.

1. Lauriate Roly. | January 19, 2012 | 1:03 pm

I know all about thesewonderful hunting shoes, but I never owned a pair. I’m too old to hunt now but if my budget would allow it, I would certainly buy a pair of these famous Maine Nunting Shoes. because even though I don’t hunt anywmore, I still can walk and botts like these are exactly what I should be wearing for my walks. I endorse them one hundred percent because my friends who always wore them convinced me that there was nothing like them for foot comfort while tramping through the woods or over tough territory.
    Lauriate R.

2. Dave S. | January 19, 2012 | 7:44 pm

I find these boots hazardous on slippery slopes while hunting grouse. The chain pattern sole lacks grip. My partner broke a gun stock in a fall on one hunt wearing these. Mine tend to stay in the corner due to this problem.
    They are OK for walking in the rain around town or canoing but be careful in snow and ice.
    Dave

• Sara | L.L.Bean | January 26, 2012 | 9:47 am

Thank you for your comment. We do not want you to have something you are not completely satisfied with. All of our products are covered with our 100% satisfaction guarantee. Please feel free to return the boots to us. Find more information about our return policy here http://www.llbean.com/shop/returns or call us at 800-441-5713.

3. Darryl V | January 20, 2012 | 12:53 am

Unlike L Roly, I do own a pair of these great boots (in fact two pair, one an original high top I use for hunting deer, turkey and pheasants and the second a slip on for trips to mail box). But my introduction to these wonderful boots occured during the early 50’s in small central Wisconsin village of Warrens pop 200. I was sixth and last child of modest income family and during deer season we would rent out three bedrooms (one of them mine) to hunters from the big cities, Madison, Janesville, Beloit, etc.
    As a child I fell in love with Bill from Beloits Maine boots, the ruggedness of the raw leather and rawhide laces and the rubber bottoms. Bill would let me unlace them upon his return home each night. See the other hunters merely had felt liners inside buckled goloshes an obvious draw back to be as good a hunter as Bill with his super cool high top laced rubber boots with pants tucked in and red wool socks rolled out the top to surround his laces.
    So thank you Mr Bean for the wonderful boots and more importantly the childhood memories.
    I plan to purchase a pair for my 14 yo grandson but his foot size changes about every two months so he’ll have to wait another five years. Thanks again for your wonderful company and congrats on 100 years.
    ps We used to buy all our Boy Scout equipment from your catalogs too.

4. Vivian | January 23, 2012 | 4:37 am

GREAT publish and impressive in turn …will bear a try all the tips..Thanks……

5. EFH | January 23, 2012 | 4:03 pm

I love these shoes. I still have my pair from high school…that’s over 20 years!

6. Russell | September 29, 2012 | 8:46 pm

I’m about to send you a pair that are worn out. How long should I expect to wait for them to be resoled?

• Sara | L.L.Bean | October 1, 2012 | 4:20 pm

Hi Russell, The current processing and shipping time for resoling Bean Boots is 4-6 weeks.