Skip to page content
Enter promo code LABORDAY at checkout Details
Save 10% on Your Entire Order.Offer Ends Monday.
Save 10% on Your Entire Purchase. Offer Ends Monday, September 1. TO REDEEM AT OUR RETAIL STORES, present a printout or phone display of this coupon at checkout to receive 10% off. Sorry, offer not valid at L.L.Bean Outlets®.

Terms and Conditions

Save 10% on select merchandise purchased from L.L.Bean Retail Stores, by phone and online at llbean.com. Offer not valid at L.L.Bean Outlets®. Offer may be redeemed by entering promotional code "LABORDAY" during online checkout, mentioning the code to a representative during phone orders or presenting promotional coupon to a cashier in stores. Refunds will match the discounted amount on the purchase receipt. Offer applies to merchandise only, excluding numbered, limited-edition 100th anniversary products; shipping charges; return labels; taxes; licenses/stamps; gift cards; repairs; duty; Outdoor Discovery Schools® private lessons and custom adventures; engraving; monogramming; alterations; gift boxes; select boats; select optics; firearms; select products at our retail stores and orders in our Direct to Business channel. Not valid on previous purchases or with employee discounts. May not be combined with other percent-off or dollar-off order discounts. Offer valid from Thursday, August 28, 2014, at 12:01 a.m. ET to Monday, September 1, 2014, at 11:59 p.m. ET.

Recapturing the Classics: Our 2nd Cover with Randal Ford

This year, we’re celebrating our 100th anniversary with nods to some of the iconic catalog covers that helped define our company’s unique character. You saw our first reinterpretation of an old favorite in January – and now we’re thrilled to take you behind the scenes of our Summer 2012 cover.

Maine’s Acadia National Park, America’s most-visited national park, was the backdrop for our January cover. Award-winning photographer Randal Ford captured this reinterpretation of a 1956 favorite. Our talented creative directors Marcia Minter and Jenna Klein Jonsson chose this second cover for its strong story line that everyone can relate to – those special times when you’re having so much fun outdoors that you completely lose track of time.

Randal Ford - L.L.Bean Summer 2012 Catalog Cover

L.L.Bean's Summer 2012 Catalog Cover by Randal Ford

In styling the shoot, our creative directors used a mix of old and new apparel items, accessories and props. All of the male model’s clothing is from our current product line, while the fishing rod he is holding is vintage L.L.Bean. And if you’re looking for a classic shirt like the one our female model is sporting, check out the Madras Check Shirt from our Signature line.

If you didn’t peek behind the scenes for our January cover, read Marcia and Jenna’s interview with Maine magazine. Or watch Randal and the team talk more about what went into recreating these classics.

We think our team nailed it with this reinterpretation. Do you agree? What kind of outings would land you in this sticky situation? Fishing for dinner, like our proud pop, or maybe a trek up a mountainside? Share the adventure that reorders your priorities with us below to contribute $1 towards our Million Moment Mission.

L.L.Bean Summer 2012 Catalog Cover Shoot

Our Summer 2012 Catalog Cover Shoot

If you’d like to have a copy of our catalog, you can order a free version here. And this series doesn’t stop quite yet. Stay tuned for our fall and winter catalog covers.

1. Steve | March 28, 2012 | 4:49 pm

This is one of the things that makes LL Bean an American classic

2. Har Fisher | March 29, 2012 | 1:43 pm

Historical Beans — My father was an Upper Michigan game warden. During the 50s and
    early 60s he always wore Bean Boots as part of his “uniform”.

3. Julia | March 29, 2012 | 5:58 pm

This is great, but I’m curious as to who the artist of the original cover is! I don’t believe the name is given anywhere, and I’d really love to know.

• Sara | L.L.Bean | March 30, 2012 | 12:21 pm

Hi, Julia. Great question! The original artist was R.J. Cavaliere. ^SB

4. Rick Sims with Power Creative Lou. Ky. | March 30, 2012 | 7:33 pm

From a stylist point of view, you guys did a great job!
    I’m in love with this cover.
    Kudos to all involved.
    Rick Sims with Power Creative Lou Ky.

5. John | April 1, 2012 | 5:53 pm

Who is the female model? Hubbahubba.

6. John from Riverside CA | April 2, 2012 | 12:13 pm

Yes, what is the name of the female model in the shoot? What other work has she done?

• Sara | L.L.Bean | April 3, 2012 | 9:48 am

Hi, John. Our female model’s name is Camilla Vest. You can find Camilla’s portfolio here. Thanks!

7. Stan | June 28, 2012 | 11:06 am

Oh how fun! I was thrilled to see you showcasing this cover because of its sentimental value. I must share with you my story. Back in the early 60’s, when I was a boy, I recall how my creative mother wanted to make my fathers den more true to the outdoorsman he was. On a shoestring budget, I recall how she would make curtains out of fishing nets with bamboo rods, and other rustic decor from what she could find. My father acquired most of his fishing equipment and outdoor apparel by way of L. L. Bean, so catalogs were found lying around. My mother, in her resourcefulness, took one of these covers, the one you are featuring here, and placed it in an existing frame.

I recall as a child laying on the sofa in the den looking up at the image and getting lost in my imagination. I identified with it. When my family went camping in northern Michigan, many times my father would come back in from fishing long after dark. However, I never recalled my mother reacting like this. Those camping trips were my favorite of childhood memories, and when I looked into this illustration, I was there again.

Over the years my mother redecorated the room and I lost interest in the catalog picture. That is until I had a family and home of my own. When my mother passed away and my sisters were sorting through things getting ready to close up the family homestead, I asked if they would keep their eyes open for that picture that hung in the den. The one of the father holding the son after fishing and talking to the mom I would explain. It had been well over 20 years since I last saw the picture, and really doubted they would find it.

That Christmas was the last my family would spend celebrating the holiday in the family home after many years of memories since childhood—a very sentimental time of closure for us. When we exchanged gifts, it was to my surprise and delight that I received a special gift. Yes, they found it! It was an opportunity to somehow reconnect with my childhood memories that day—seeing it once again.

The L. L. Bean cover has faded over the years, but now hangs in the den of our home along with my father’s fly rods and creel. I really appreciated your featuring this cover and the opportunity to imagine what it looked like when my mother first hung it up. Thanks.

• Sara | L.L.Bean | July 1, 2012 | 10:45 am

What a great story. Thank you for sharing, Stan!